[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
Media Now support forums • View topic - Newbies review

Newbies review

Support, user tips and information on the DVICO TVIX R-3330
Forum rules
Find out more and buy the DVICO TVIX R-3330 at our online store

Re: Newbies review

Postby Marcus » 06 Oct 2009, 13:08

I got a reply from mailer@dvico.com fairly soon on the CH9 problem that they would be checking it, that was on 21/9/09, however nothing since.
Whilst watching Flash Forward last night, I did notice on the rare occassion that some parts of the picture would have a narrow grey or black band on it for a couple of frames. I assumed it was in the transmission.
I didn't observe any motion judder.
Marcus

Postby lonestarr » 06 Oct 2009, 13:45

Thanks for that Marcus. Are you referring to the TV broadcast of the show? I was actually talking about Vxid encoded AVIs. TV broadcasts are fine on my player as well. Pretty much everything downloaded with about 24 fps progressive is quite bad in terms of frame rate. May have to see if I can find some test videos or film the picture of my TV with my camera at 60 fps and count the frames or something.
lonestarr

Postby Malginn » 06 Oct 2009, 13:52

Gday Lonestarr ... I watch Xvids from my old SD PVR which records as Mpeg4 in an .AVI file and I haven't experienced any judder problems with them. I don't understand all the parameters associated with the file type that you listed but it looks like mine have been recorded at a much higher bitrate, eg

File : 1.25 GB (1.25 GB), duration: 0:28:50, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 76 %
Video : 1.23 GB, 6087 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 720*576 (4:3), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported
Audio : 26 MB, 128 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x50 = MPEG Audio Layer2, Supported

I tried loading Mpeg4 clips from Youtube onto the R-3300 at one stage and that definitely didn't work. All these codecs and things confuse the hell out of me :cry:
Malginn

Postby lonestarr » 06 Oct 2009, 14:10

Thanks for that. Well, I really have put some test videos together ... use different codecs and bitrates, resolutions and frame rates. So weird ...
lonestarr

Postby glennmag » 07 Oct 2009, 01:18

Dvico got back to me within 2 days, after i finally deciphered their "my FAQ" contact page. Thanks to everyone for your help. It truly had me buggered!

They have assured me they will look into my recording problems.

HDMI i think i have sorted out. Looks like a bad cable was the cause of all my woes. Dont they test these things before they package them? Grrrr.
Anyhow im connecting everything 1 device at a time just to be sure- HDMI first, make sure thats stable. Then LAN, and finally EXT USB hard drive.

Lonestar... I play alot of stuff from the states. Mostly AVI files. All looks pretty good to me. (Xvid @29 FPS, 24bit, 1113kbps) Cant say ive seen the judder you are experiencing.
Stuff ive recorded on the TVIX and want to archive i convert to divX and that looks great.
glennmag

Postby lonestarr » 07 Oct 2009, 08:21

Thanks. I see this is 30fps content (which seems to be fine with mine as well). Anyway, my player is always showing "37 Hz" (when pressing the info button during play of 24 Hz content) - say, when you play US content (30 Hz), are you using 60 Hz output (720p/1080i/60) or 50 Hz?

Because for me there is quite a difference in judder - even with 30 Hz content 60 Hz output looks a lot better. So that would mean that 24 Hz content (movies and re-encoded tv shows) should probably be played with 50 Hz? Anyway, I have filmed my TV with a 60 Hz progressive camera during these judder scenes and will now count the unique frames per second in the judder scenes - let's see what I end up with.
lonestarr

Postby glennmag » 07 Oct 2009, 11:26

yep, im sending 1080i @ 60hz to the Sammy Tv. If we were back in 2003 id suspect NTSC to PAL problem but with all TVs capable of both formats nowadays im at a loss. All of my usa AVI's seem to be encoded @ 29fps. Guess im lucky in that respect. Sorry i cant be of much help.
glennmag

Postby glennmag » 07 Oct 2009, 12:54

An update from dvico re- recording settings. Digital TV recordings--timeshift and otherwise--are captures of the broadcast transport stream and contain exactly the same video and audio information as was transmitted. The ep/sp/hd settings are for recording from an external device only and have no bearing on DTV recordings.
I must have missed that in the owners manual.
glennmag

Postby maestroz » 07 Oct 2009, 18:02

Hi glennmag,

You wrote : 'Digital TV recordings--timeshift and otherwise--are captures of the broadcast transport stream and contain exactly the same video and audio information as was transmitted'
True enough, like I posted few days ago, even subtitles are present but cannot be accessed by the player !
Concerning ep/sp/hd settings, I don't think I've seen anything in the manual as to what is concerned (external sources or DTV recordings).
Device potentially awesome but reality is soooooooooo different.
I'm thinking about buying a Wyplayer (French device, I'm french) and drop the Dvico altogheter.
maestroz

Previous

Return to DVICO TVIX R-3330