[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
Media Now support forums • View topic - Newbies review

Newbies review

Support, user tips and information on the DVICO TVIX R-3330
Forum rules
Find out more and buy the DVICO TVIX R-3330 at our online store

Newbies review

Postby glennmag » 17 Aug 2009, 02:32

I've had my 3330 pvr for just over a week now. Here are my impressions thus far.

The unit arrives in a lovely box with everything you'll need to get up and going. Except a HDMI cable. Factor this $ in if you'll be connecting in this fashion.

I've fitted a WD 500gb Caviar green sata2 HD (low noise low heat), running composite out to a large crt screen Pal 16.9 and firmware 1.8.2beta.

Setup was a breeze, however there is nothing in the manual about the plastic baffle box hidden in the hard drive bay. Removing this box allows the hard drive to slide in nice and easy "duh". I was looking at half a hard drive hanging out of the unit saying WTF! hahaha

The dual HD Tuner card is fantastic. Excellent picture and sound from something so small. How do they do it? However it can run hot- see below.

Lan setup with netshare was a bit fiddly but then i've had very little experience setting up network share folders and IP addresses. Ive gone the hardwired cat5e route until divico sort out the wireless option. Once setup i now have full access to my pc based media.
Playback of ISO image files is great. I love this feature. Also copying recorded TV shows back to my PC is a nice feature but be prepared for a long wait. 10/100 Lan is slow. No gigabit here. And TV recordings in High Def can be quite large. I'll wait until i have a few files i need to transfer back to my PC and i'll just disconnect the unit, take it over to my PC and hookup via USB. Much quicker.

The PVR component of the unit is straight forward. Pausing live TV is easy, as is recording whilst watching a another channel. It would be nice to be able to set the jump/to increments to something more useful than 15secs.
The only let down is the units EPG. Terrible layout and no option to pad recording times. The stations seldom run to schedule, so you'll always miss out on the end of your fave show.

Also, I've discovered a bug when setting the EPG to record 3 shows in a row on the same channel. The unit likes to power down between scheduled recordings, then wait 3mins before starting up again. You end up with large gaps missing or you might even miss a whole scheduled recording. Both has occurred.However, using the manual recording settings you can work around this and the time padding issue.
The EPG time can be a little all over the place when set to update from the tv stations. Im in Perth and my EPG times were all 2hours ahead, Eastern Standard Time i guess. The clock on the front of the unit was displaying my correct time. Strange! Go for the manual time option and you should be ok.

Firmware updates require you to re-enter all your settings again (including network IPs and share folders), as well as a rescan of all channels. The manual states a firmware upgrade only takes 3mins. Add another 15/20mins to this.

The HD tuners froze on me last night as i was doing some frantic channel surfing with the up/down button on the remote.. I checked the top of the box and it was very hot. It seems the tuner card generates quite a bit of heat when rapidly surfing the channels.
Fixed this by setting the fan speed to high, and by organising my channels better (using the go-to and favourites settings). Ive also added some little stick on rubber feet under the unit to increase airflow even though its not sitting on any source of heat. It's all good now and i still cant hear the fan over the tv volume.
#update# the T-441 dual HD tuner is known to run hot and is ok, unless the fan dies. Lets hope that doesnt happen.

Final thoughts- as a networked media player this unit is fantastic. No stutters or breakups. I dont have any MKV or H.264 files, so I'm not missing anything there. The variety of output connections has future proofed my setup.
As a PVR the unit is let down by an awkward clumsy EPG. But you can work around this issue.
Firmware updates are very regular and do address alot of issues. 8.2beta is very stable.
The on screen menus can be a little hard to read on my old CRT tv, but im upgrading to a big screen LCD soon anyway.

Bang for buck- I did alot of research before i bought this unit. So far it ticks all the boxes for me. PVR, dual HD tuner, upgradeable hard drive, networked media streaming and its really small.
Im very happy.
glennmag

Re: Newbies review

Postby MediaLive » 17 Aug 2009, 20:39

Good feedback, thanks.
MediaLive

Postby Malginn » 18 Aug 2009, 17:14

I have also just got myself one of these jiggers and I am also pretty happy with what it has to offer. I took the plunge and installed the 1.8.2 beta (up from 1.7.4) based on glennmags post indicating it worked OK.

I have the same problem noted by glennmag regarding the EPG time. I'm in SA and the time displayed on the TV and on the unit itself sometimes show as Eastern time and sometimes Central time when I use the option to get the time from the TV. I think it may get the time from whichever channel I was last tuned to and some channels (eg One HD) seem to use Eastern time. If I get the programs for, eg, 7SD Channel 71, the time flips back to Central. I don't regard it as a serious issue since the stations can't be trusted to start programs at the scheduled time and I would always use the manual option anyway but it would be nice if the issue were to be addressed in a future firmware version.

Also after I updated the firmware the channel re-scan didn't pick up any of the Channel 9s (9, 90, 99). I don't know if this is related to the issue they had when they switched on 99, but I've tried re-scanning both yesterday and today and no dice. Has anyone else had this happen?

A feature I really like is the ability to dump DVD files onto the hard drive and play them with full navigation capability through the unit. I'm enough of a Luddite not to have a DVD player (apart from on my PC) so this saves me having to even bother about getting one.
Malginn

Postby Malginn » 18 Aug 2009, 17:40

PS to the above.

I just tried reverting to 1.7.4 and rescanning and still didn't get the channels 9 so its not related to the firmware. Its also possible that they didn't scan correctly the first time and I just didn't notice.

I just remembered a few other things I was going to note :

The quality of recording of Foxtel via the A/V input could e a bit sharper - its not quite as good as my old SD PVR using the same input (composite). I am going to try using S Video to see if that improves it.

The playback quality of low resolution JPGs is somewhat soft. Images of about 1mp or more are great but lower resolutions don't take the scaling up to full screen very well.
Malginn

Postby glennmag » 19 Aug 2009, 01:17

Also after I updated the firmware the channel re-scan didn't pick up any of the Channel 9s (9, 90, 99).

I havent run into that problem. As all the channel 9 stations are missing maybe its a broadcast issue. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1260604.html Seems to be quite a problem. Sorry youre not having much luck over there in South Oz.

I had a strange issue last night. Recorded Topgear and then Dr Who. (yes Dr Who- im oldschool) Both are scheduled recordings for every Monday night when i am at work cheffing. Topgear was fine, but when i tried to playback Dr Who i got a red box "warning! cancel playback" and an OK button. With preview mode selected, i navigated to the file and in the preview box was the message "format not supported". How can the box not support its own recording? Wierd!!
Ive since tranfered the file to my PC and converted it to AVI - and it plays fine. (By the way, I use MPEG_Streamclip_1.2 for converting TV recordings. Great little freeware program.)

I'll try to recreate the problem. Maybe it was just a glitch, or maybe its a firmware issue. I'll keep you all posted.
glennmag

Postby Malginn » 19 Aug 2009, 07:40

Thanks for the link. The way that read it looks like the new broadcast standard WIN have adopted may not be compatible with the T-441 tuner. The 9s also dropped off my TVs tuner (Viera LCD) but reappeared when I rescanned. Its not a big deal - the only 9 content I watch is cricket and I can always record the SD signal from Foxtel to my SD PVR.
Malginn

Postby glennmag » 19 Aug 2009, 22:19

Malginn.
Channel nein?
I'd PM MediaLive and see if it is indeed a problem with the T-441 not being compatible with the new Win9 format in South Oz.
In the meantime, just for the heck of it, I'd try a clean scan.

Power off
Unplug your antenna from the TVIX
Power on
Rescan without the antenna
Power off
Unplug the TVIX from the electrical outlet and leave it off for a few minutes
Plug the TVIX back in
Reconnect the antenna (make sure you have no other devices between the TVIX and the antenna. you want the strongest signal possible)
Power on
Rescan

This method worked for me on my old SD Pvr when Win9 messed up things over here in Perth back in 2008.
Best of luck.
glennmag

Postby Malginn » 20 Aug 2009, 14:16

Thanks for tip Glennmag - no joy however. I'm going to do some more digging to find out just what WIN did and then follow up with the Dvico people. Cheers
Malginn

Postby glennmag » 22 Aug 2009, 04:31

OK, been fooling around with FTP clients so i can access the TVix hard drive over the network.
I recommend "core FTP lite". Freeware available from their website http://www.coreftp.com/
Makes transfer of media to and from the TViX very easy, just drag and drop.
glennmag

Postby lonestarr » 18 Sep 2009, 16:12

A question regarding FTP: I got my 3300 yesterday and transferred some files over to the internal HD. Whenever I do too much on the unit (watch TV, watch a movie etc.) the box just reboots. Can transfer gigs without touching the remote and it's fine, but as soon as I just even change to a radio channel while watching TV it reboots :)

Regarding FTP client: Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/) is quite good - shareware
Anyway, Samba (server) support would be nicer than FTP - especially with 1 concurrent user restriction ...

I also have the issue with the "very hot" tuner ... even if it's not even used.
Another question: Is anybody able to record two shows at the same time - or record one and time shift another - or record one and play a video? Any hopes this might work someday?

BTW: I have posted my initial review here, in case somebody is interested: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1283691
lonestarr

Next

Return to DVICO TVIX R-3330